- Benefit Reps
- Brand Name Drugs
- Legal Services
- Important Dates
- Password GM Benefits
- Special Offers
- 1. GM Benefits (Hewitt Associates)
- 2. Sunlife Insurance
- 3. Green Shield Canada
- 4. Out of Province/Country (Allianz)
- 5. GM Retiree Benefits (asr HCT)
- 6. New Hire Great West Life
Lawrence Robson is the benefit rep at GM. Lawrence can assist members with their benefit coverage which includes: Life Insurance, Healthcare, Tuition Assistance, Dental and Eye care. The benefit information on this website is a summary of your coverage and is intended as a quick reference only. If you have any questions which are not answered here or if you require more detailed information. please contact Lawrence Robson.
Phone: @ GM: 905-641-6444 @ Hall 905-682-2611 x 228 Cell: 905-658-7952 E Mail: mailto:email@example.com
Lawrence has two offices he is in the plant Monday to Friday from 6:30 am – 2:30pm with two exceptions Tuesday and Thursday from 10:30 am – 12:30 pm he is at the Union Hall. Click on the following link to read the GM Health Care Agreement.
GM uses four different companies to administer employee benefits, for more information click on the tabs on the left side of this page.
- GM Benefits Centre (Hewitt Associates), looks after pension information, tuition forms, GM Vehicle Authorizations, change of beneficiary forms and dependants.
- Sunlife Insurance, provides coverage for Sick & Accident Insurance.
- Green Shield Canada, provides coverage for, vision, dental & hearing as well as drugs and all extended health care benefits.
- Allianz Global Assistance provides Out of Province/Country Insurance Coverage
- asr Trust /Green Shield Canada, Retiree Benefits
Brand Name Drugs
If your doctor determines you need a specific Brand name Drug and your prescription has been rejected by Green Shield you should ask your doctor to fill out a Drug Special Authorization form and contact the Benefit reps for assistance.
- Go to http://www.greenshield.ca/en-ca
- When Green shield website opens, on top right hand corner you will see 3 White lines. Click to expand.
- Select, Provider Connect
- Click on What you need
- Click on Pharmacy provider
- Click on Drug authorisation form
- Display using, select Brand Name Drugs
- Select, first letter of drug
- Click on name of drug from list
- When form comes up print it off should be three pages
- Ask your doctor to fill it out and bring the form to the benefit rep who will send it to greens shield
Legal Services ULSP
Unifor GM members have a legal service plan that covers a variety of legal fees such as wills and power of attorney and real estate fees. . If you want to use a different lawyer they may charge you more than your coverage under the plan, we advise you check before you proceed with a non Unifor Lawyer. Contact Unifor Legal services, 55 King Street, 2nd Floor (corner of King and Queen Street) St. Catharines 905-641-1313 Retired workers are entitled to coverage for legal services.
Tuition Deadline. General Motors Tuition Refund applications must be received by GM Benefit Centre (Hewitt) on or before March 31st 2017 for the calendar year 2016. If you have any questions or need assistance please contact Mark Roy or Lawrence Robson. 905-641-6444
Scholarships and bursaries applications are available in January Deadline for submission is April 28th
Dependant Certification, Members with children between the age of 19 and 25 will be receiving a dependant certification request from GM benefits Centre in the mail. Members who have subscribed to the GM benefit centre online and provided an e mail address will receive an e mail to your secure mailbox on the website. In either case it is imperative that you respond and verify your children are still dependants to maintain their eligibility. Should you require any help in responding please call us.
Password (GM Canada Benefit Center)
To retrieve information about your benefits you need to be able to access the GM Canada Benefit Centre. On this website you can see your coverage, order forms, change beneficiaries, find out about your pensions and your health care benefits. Before you can access all of this information you need to have an set up an access code and password. It is important that you set this up as soon as possible as it is only a matter of time before you will need this so might as well set it up now. If you have not already established a User ID or Password, you must contact the GM Canada Benefits Centre at the phone number below and establish a temporary Password by regular mail before you can set up a User ID or use the new e-mail option. Once you have the temporary password you can change it online.
Lost or Forgotten Password
If you have lost or forgotten your password and code, the GM Canada Benefits Centre has added the ability to reset your security Password by e-mail. The temporary Password can now be sent to your e-mail account within 15 minutes of the request.
To contact the GM Benefit Centre and set up your User ID and/or e-mail address, simply call toll-free 1-877-442-4625 Representatives are available Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm Eastern Time. If you are calling from outside North America, you can reach the GM Canada Benefits Centre at 1-847-883-0745. Note that there will be a charge for this call.or ask either the pension or benefits rep to help you.
Special Offer for 199 Members
In an effort to provide our members with the best benefit coverage possible. Your local union has engaged a number of local providers and we are pleased to report that Sears has agreed to provide hearing aid protection over and above what our Collective Agreement/ASR Trust will provide. On the same note, Welland Avenue Chiropractic and Massage Therapy have worked with us to come up with a plan to ease out of pocket expenses for these important health services. We urge all our active and retired members to go to our website: www.caw199.com for further information on these new initiatives. Chiropractic Special Offer
Hearing aids are covered under General Motors Unifor local 199 benefits. Hear for life Hearing Clinic offers free hearing test. They will also give members $25 gift card with every set of hearing aids purchased. To book an appointment call 905-562-8327, 2A Tremont Drive, St Catharines.
Toll Free Numbers Hewitt Associates,
Tuition Assistance, Dependant
Dependants of GM members who are entering post secondary education can apply for dependant tuition assistance funding. The amount of the yearly benefit is $1,300. The tuition assistance is a taxable benefit for the recipient (the student) but are paid directly to the employee. Application forms are available from the GM benefit Centre 1-877-442-4625. You will need a user name and ID if you don’t have one you should set one up as you will need it.. We recommend ordering forms and keeping them on file for when you need them. .Important Notice GM Employees. General Motors Tuition Refund applications must be received by GM Benefit Centre (Hewitt) on or before March 31st for the previous calendar year. If you have any questions or need assistance please contact Mark Roy or Lawrence Robson 905-641-6444. When you receive the Tuition Assistance forms and you need any assistance with completing the forms, please contact Lawrence or myself.
(Please note there are other Bursaries Available to our members Unifor has (25) Unifor bursaries that are awarded to sons/daughters of Unifor members in good standing entering their first year of post secondary education (i.e. university, community college, technological institute, teachers’ college, nursing school, etc.) One bursary will be available for a Unifor member with at least one year seniority attending their first year of post secondary education. These are entrance bursary’s and are not renewable for students entering subsequent years of study. To learn more about Unifor bursaries, follow the links. Scholarships from Unifor The skilled trades association also have a bursary, click on the following link for more information. Eric John Bursary)
Vehicle Purchase (GM Employee Discount)
Employees, retiree and family members can purchase new and corporate driven GM vehicles. There are three programs available which are as follows; Option one order a new vehicle through an authorized dealer, Option 2 purchase a vehicle from dealer stock, Option 3 purchase a used company vehicle. For more information or to determine your eligibility call the GM benefits Centre 1-877-442-4625.
S&A EDB Benefit Rates
|($33.86 hourly rate)||($40.25 hourly rate)|
|EDB under 10 years||$2,925||$3,500|
|EDB 10 or more years||$3,215||$3,850|
1-888-711-1119 Out of Province Coverage, Canada & the U.S.A. call (1-800-936-6226 – group number is #9623) Out of Province Coverage, Outside Canada & U.S.A. (0-519-742-3556) Website www.greenshield.ca
Green Shield Forms click on the following links to download claim forms:
Green Shield General Claim Submission Form Green Shield Vision Claim Form (eye test & glasses) Green Shield Dental Claim Form Green Shield Audio Claim Form Green Shield Prescription Drug Special Authorization Request Form Out Of Province Brochure
- Coverage for up to $240 for medical transport ( ground ambulance, site of incident to hospital)
- Normally bill is sent to you, submit bill and a general claim submission form to Green Shield
- If you need assistance call benefit rep @ 905-641-6444
- Child Care Subsidy of $6 per day for dependent children age 3 and up to and including 10 who do not qualify for subsidized daycare.
- Maximum Benefit is $2,800 per person each benefit year (October 1st – September30th) for basic services, crowns and major services combined.
- Dental Fee Guide, 1 Year rolling lag, effective January1st 2017 (ODA or licenced denture therapist schedule of fees)
- Basic Services, 100% of eligible dental expenses
- Crowns, 100% of eligible dental expenses
- Major Services, 50% of eligible expenses
- Orthodontic, 50% of eligible expenses (to a lifetime maximum of $3,600 per covered dependent under 21)
- Dental Implants (NEW) 50% of eligible expenses for standard implantology including the structure, installation and crown (initial replacement)
- A Dental hygienist will be recognized as a dental provider.
- Please have your dentist submit to Green Shield a predetermination form, which is an explanation of entitlement coverage’s. This will avoid any hidden costs.
- Reimbursement of 90% of eligible expenses
- 100% after you incur $310 for out of pocket expenses
- Coverage limited to the cost of lowest priced generic drug (or brand name drug if lower) drugs listed on the “Controlled Drug Formulary” or by special authorization.
- 90% of the actual dispensing fee, to a maximum of $9 per prescription
- Over the counter Drugs are not covered (other than certain life sustaining drugs)
The federal government introduced a rule that medical plans covering OTC drugs, even with a prescription, will lose their tax-exempt status. In such a case, all health care benefits would become taxable to the employee. To avoid this problem, effective January 1, 2013, OTC drugs, other than certain life-sustaining drugs, will no longer be covered under the health care plan. A schedule of life-sustaining drugs will continue to be covered, including insulin, nitrates, allergy serums, injectable vitamins, diabetic testing agents, needles and syringes and vaccines.
- Reimbursed if 36 months since last hearing aid claim Covers cost of hearing aid (on the body, in the canal, completely in the canal, digital and programmable aids)
- Dispensing fees and repairs of hearing aids from dealer and repairs Pre-authorization for hearing aids and repairs.
If you are hospitalized your coverage is limited to ward rates, it is important when you are being admitted when asked or filling in forms you tell the hospital staff you have ward coverage.
- If you say you have private or semi private coverage you will be billed the difference.
In Home Nursing Care, RN or RPN)
- Reimbursement under such coverage will be the amount charged to the patient for such service up to a maximum of six (6) hours per day, up to an annual maximum of $7,500.
- The nursing services of a registered nurse (RN) or a Registered Practical Nurse (RPN)
- In addition, reimbursement for the services of a Personal Support Worker (PSW), commonly known as a homemaker or health care aid, is an eligible benefit under the following conditions;
- When prescribed by a physician,
- The PSW has a certificate from an accredited program and is employed by a provincially recognized, bonded health care provider.
- When used in conjunction with the in-home nursing care services of the RN or RPN described above,
Long Term Care and Chronic Care
- The maximum payable after January 1, 2011 is $1,200 monthly.
- Current monthly maximums will continue for those residing in a Long Term Care Facility before January 1, 2011.
- Effective January 1, 2014 the maximum long term care rate for new entrants will be reduced from $1,200 to $800 per month.
- Current residents of long term care facilities and those entering prior to January 1, 2014 will remain at current coverage levels (Long Term Care covers current active members).
- Orthotics must be through an authorized provider; maximum $400.00 for 2 pairs every 36 months.
- Braces: coverage with prescription from physician are limited by cost. Air casts: coverage with prescription from physician, Note: is limited by cost. Insulin Pumps: up to $1,000 every 5 years Insulin
- Infusion Pump: Eligible dependent children age 18 and under with Type 1 diabetes will be eligible for an insulin infusion pump benefit allowance, once every 5 years, to a maximum of $5,500 when prescribed by a physician. Eligible dependent children age 18 and under will also be eligible for an insulin infusion pump supplies to a maximum of $250 per month. The insulin infusion pump allowance for all others has been increased from $800 to $1,000 once every 5 years.
- Chiropractor, $25 per visit to a maximum of $465 each benefit year.
- Chiropodist,/Podiatrist, $11.45 per visit to a maximum of $325 each benefit year
- Massage Therapist, $45 per visit to a maximum of $200 each benefit year.
- Naturopath, $25 per visit to a maximum of $325 each benefit year.
- Registered Clinical Psychologist or Master of Social Work (MSW), $50 per visit to a maximum of $625 per calendar year. Master of Psychology recognised for counselling services.
- Speech Therapist, up to $1,100 per calendar year (including up to $125 for the initial assessment)
- Physiotherapist, (NEW) $50 per visit to a maximum of $200 each benefit year (need doctor referral)
Age 50 years or older $15
- Routine eye exams up to $85 every 24 months (if OHIP plan excludes coverage)
- Plan Maximum depends upon lens type (once every 24 months per person)
- Single Vision, $220 for lenses and frames, $230 for contact lenses
- Bi Focal, $275 for lenses and frames,
- Multi focal, $345 for lenses and frames
- Laser Eye Surgery, $345 for laser eye surgery (one time)
If a person has diabetes or other medical conditions, you will need a letter from the optometrist or ophthalmologist for coverage for the lenses when required. . Any person reimbursed for laser eye surgery will not be eligible for any other reimbursement under the Vision Care Program for a period of 48 months. Eye exams are covered by OHIP for people 19 and under and 65 and over, once every 12 months from the last exam. Anyone with the following conditions; diabetes mellitus, glaucoma, retinal disease, amblyopia, visual field defects, corneal disease, and stabismis, are eligible for an OHIP exam.
It’s a good idea to shop around for cataract surgeons since some in Ontario charge “predatory” prices for services not covered by OHIP, says a study from St. Michael’s Hospital. While OHIP covers the cost of cataract surgery and implantation of an artificial lens, some ophthalmologists charge an extra $358 to $2,790 for special lenses that also correct far-sightedness and astigmatism.
Out of Province/Country
When traveling, make sure you have your
- Ontario Health Card,
- Green Shield number(s) and the
- GM Benefits User Name and PIN number
- Emergency numbers to call if you need assistance. From the United Stated or Canada, call 1-800-936-6226; from other locations call collect 0-519-742-3556.
- Out of Province Brouchure
Please note; Allianz Global Assistance must be notified within 48 hours of a medical emergency. All benefit inquiries to General Motors, outside or specific questions to Green Shield are now handled by the GM Canada Benefits Centre. Call toll free: 1-877-442-4625. Please have your user I.D. and PIN # ready when calling. If you have to pay for a prescription or doctors visit while out of the country, call the appropriate number and ask for the claim form to be sent to you. Keep the receipt(s) and send them with the form to Green Shield when you return home.
Toll Free Numbers Hewitt Associates, 1-877-442-4625 Green Shield Canada, 1-888-711-1119 Out of Province Coverage Canada & the U.S.A. call (1-800-936-6226 – group number is #9623) Out of Province Coverage, Outside Canada & U.S.A. (0-519-742-3556)
GM Retiree Benefits Health Care Trust
The benefits for GM retirees is provided by the asrTrust. The benefits are different from active employees click on the following link to see a summary of the changes Retiree Benefit Summary. Before you retire it is advisable to talk to the benefit rep to review your benefit needs. A brochure which summarizes your coverage Retiree Heath Coverage. You will also need to consider if you will need optional health care coverage for travel insurance. If you plan to be out of the provide of ontario for longer that 30 days you have the option to purchase additional coverage up to 150 extra days. To see the costs and coverage click Travel Insurance. The good news about the retiree benefit GM has paid all the funding committed to the fund which has approximately 2.1 billion dollars, this is enough funding to cover health care benefits for current and future retirees until 2070.
Any retirees or future retirees who have questions about their coverage should contact either the benefit rep or pension rep.
The link for new hire pension benefits is Great West Life
GM Benefits Report ...
THANK YOU TO THE MEMBERSHIP OF LOCAL 199 June 28, 2017 On June 21, 2017, I accepted a position with...
Loss or reduced hearing can be very frustrating and impacts your quality of life. The good news is that our...
IMPORTANT NOTICE The deadline for Tuition assistance refunds is on or before March 31st 2017. Tuition refund application forms and...
Scholarships & Bursaries Applications must be received by April 30th 2017. Unifor offers 28 – $2,000 bursaries each year, applications are...
Recently a member went onto the Green Shield website and posted on Facebook that we had Osteopath coverage in our...
NEW HIRE HEALTH CARE BENEFITS There have been a number of concerns raised by members transitioning to new hire status....
GM Benefit Report (Active) Happy New Year everyone. As result of our recent negotiations there have been some gains...
Changes to health Care Benefits As a result of the recent negotiations, there have been some changes to our health...