Young Workers Committee
The Young Workers Committee is made up of young workers under 35 years of age and is the newest Standing Committee at Local 199. The Committee’s overall goal is to develop and maintain an active, educated young membership. This will be achieved by learning about unions and participating in ongoing union activities and campaigns. Committee members will report to the membership and Executive Board about the issues and concerns that effect young workers. The Local Union is currently looking for members who are interested in joining. Local 199 elected a young worker to the Executive Board for the first time this year. Jake McReady was Elected and is the liaison between the Executive Board and the Young Workers Committee.
Committee Chairperson, Andrew Dzumbelak
Executive Liason: Jake McCready, Peter Scott
Becoming involved on a standing committee is a great way to get involved in both the local union and community we live. The committee meets regularly to discuss issues that is of interest to them and helps organize events for the membership.
For More information about this committee contact the Executive Board Liaison, Jake McCready.
Phone: Cell: 905-380-8073
Here are a few basic roles that young workers committees can play:
- Raise the awareness of issues specific to young workers with Local union leadership and membership
- Outreach to young members in your workplace, and connect them with the union
- Advocate on behalf of young workers in the local union and in the community
- Support the work of other local union standing committees and their campaign efforts, lending expertise and providing fresh insight into issues through a young worker perspective
- Build links with other progressive-minded and youth groups in the community and across the country, including student groups , youth environment groups and social service groups.
UNIFOR Pub Night. The young Workers Committee has organised a Pub Night at the Union hall following the Ball Hockey...
Friday 28th October – Melodie Zarlenga from Local 199’s Young Workers Committee presented a cheque to RAFT for $250 today....
Order your A1 Status Shirts The Young workers committee has designed T shirts for 2016 bargaining, The shirts are black...
The Young Workers Committee are excited to announce we have made our first community partnership with RAFT. In todays society we have...
Local 199 has just redesigned the local union website, the Young Workers Committee has their own page and an area where we can post articles, links and information that will be of interest to young workers. We would like to invite you to tell us what you would like to see posted, send your ideas and suggestions to Jake and Melodie.
July 13th 2016, Two members of the young workers committee, Jake McCready & Melodie Zarlenga , attended the Young Workers...
The Education committee has scheduled a 3 day grievance handling course Monday 26th – Wednesday 28th of September 2016. If...