Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB)
***IMPORTANT NOTICE: The CRCB is run through the CRA. We currently do not have any direct contacts. This leaflet is of general information. Any claim you wish to pursue or inquire about please use the numbers provided and keep record of your actions. I will do my best to guide you in the right direction, but you are responsible for the claims you make. So please keep record of what you do. ***
If you are taking this leave, please notify your group leader and contact Jordan Besch by email. email@example.com
**NO SUB ELIGIBILITY TO COLLECT WITH THIS PROGRAM**
The Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) gives income support to employed and self-employed individuals who are unable to work because they must care for their child under 12 years old or a family member who needs supervised care. This applies if their school, regular program or facility is closed or unavailable to them due to COVID-19, or because they are sick, self-isolating, or at risk of serious health complications due to COVID-19. The CRCB is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
If you are eligible for the CRCB, your household can receive $500 ($450 after taxes withheld) for each 1-week period.
If your situation continues past 1 week, you will need to apply again. You may apply up to a total of 38 weeks between September 27, 2020 and September 25, 2021.
How much you receive per period
The Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) provides a payment of $500 (before taxes withheld) per household for each 1-week period applied for. After the CRA withholds a 10% tax at source, the actual payment you get is $450 per 1-week period.
**Only one eligible individual in the same household (living as a family at the same address) can apply for the benefit per week. **
Each household may receive payments for a maximum of 38 weeks between September 27, 2020 and September 25, 2021.
If you’re eligible, your payment amount will be the same for each period you’ve applied for, even if:
- you are caring for more than one family member who needs supervised care
- you worked for less than 50% of the work week
How eligibility periods work
Each Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) eligibility period is a specific 1-week period. When you apply, your household will receive a $500 ($450 after taxes withheld) payment for that period.
The CRCB does not renew automatically. If your situation continues, you must apply for each period separately. You may apply for any eligible 1-week period for up to 60 days after that period has ended.
Each household can apply up to a maximum of 38 periods between September 27, 2020 and September 25, 2021. The 38 weeks do not need to be taken consecutively.
If you started caring for a family member part way through a period, you can only apply for that period if you missed more than 50% of that work week. If you miss less than that, you need to wait to apply for the next eligibility period.
Period start and end dates
Each 1-week period starts on a Sunday and ends on the following Saturday. You may start applying on the first Monday after the 1-week period you’re applying for has ended.
Call the recovery benefit line for general information about:
- CRCB eligibility requirements
- payments amount for each period
- how and when to apply
This phone line is for general benefit information only.
Dedicated CRCB Number Hours General Information:
Telephone number: 1-833-966-2099
Hours: Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday: CLOSED
CLOSED ON PUBLIC HOLIDAYS
Before you call
To verify your identity, you’ll need your:
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- postal code
- date of birth
- Have a pen and paper ready to note down information during the call.
**After reading the information above, here are ways you can apply for the CRCB**
Telephone number to apply for CRCB
Follow the guideline below before you call 1-800-959-2019 or 1-800-959-2041
- Select your language preference: English or French
- Press ‘1’to apply for one of the new Canada recovery benefits
- Press ‘1’ to apply for the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB)
- Follow the prompts to enter your information, including:
- your SIN
- confirmation of your postal code
- date of birth
- the period you are applying for
- Certify that you qualify for the benefit
Apply for CRCB Online
- Go to canada.ca
- Click English
- Under most requested click COVID-19 financial assistance
- Under Support for individuals/ Individuals and families CLICK Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit
- Read through the overview and click to apply.
- Follow the guideline and answer per your personal situation
Previous Articles and Posts
- CRBC FOR PARENTS (June, 2021)
- PRINTABLE PDF CRBC FOR PARENTS updated (JANUARY 2021)
- OVERPAYMENTS & REPAYMENTS (DEC 2020)
- REPORTING FOR EI (DEC 2020)
- EI APPLICATION Long Application (NOV2020)
Vincent Filice – SUB/EI Representative
Adam Nie – ALT. SUB/EI Representative
In Plant: 905-641-6419 (MONDAY TO FRIDAY 6:30AM-2:30PM)
Mobile: 905-658-7781 (7 days a week (SATURDAY/SUNDAY UNTIL 3PM)