MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT
This has been an unprecedented week, news from around the globe has focused on the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Due to a state of emergency; Schools are being closed, parliament has been suspended, sporting events and meeting of large groups are being cancelled, restaurants & bars are closing their doors and workers are being laid off. There can be no doubt this is a very serious situation. We are fully aware of the growing concern of our members about COVID-19 which has everyone in our community very concerned.
As we follow the developments around the world it is quite easy to feel helpless, but there are actions we can do collectively to slow and stop the virus. We all have a responsibility to each other to follow social distancing, good hand hygiene and most importantly monitor our health and self-isolate if necessary. We should also follow the governments travel advisory, but we need to do more.
We must keep our employers accountable for our safety in the workplace and ensure the government follows through with their promises to help workers and their families. The real test for employers and the Government will be if they recognize the need to change the rules to qualify for E.I. to include self-isolation and family care and child care.
The health and well-being of our members, our staff and community is our priority. We want to assure you that we are taking the following precautionary steps to ensure our Union Hall remains open and is a safe and healthy place. We have,
- enhanced our existing hygiene and health practices, including frequent and additional cleaning and disinfecting throughout the Union Hall, focusing on high-touch areas.
- closed the Union Hall & Retiree Centre until April 6th, 2020.
- suspended Membership & Retiree Meetings until April.
- cancelled Educational Courses at the Union hall until April.
- increased communication on our website and Facebook to share important updates about COVID-19 with you, and will post information and news as it comes available.
- posted a notice on the front door to asking members & visitors who have traveled, have been in contact with a traveler or has symptoms to call in for assistance rather then enter the building.
As we continue to closely monitor the situation, and take proactive and preventative measures, our Union Hall will remain open. To maintain social distance, we ask that any member or retiree who needs assistance please call or e mail the appropriate rep before coming to the Union Hall.
- President – Greg Brady,905-682-2611 x (225)
- Financial Secretary – Steve McMullen 905-682-2611 x (227)
- Benefits – Lawrence Robson, 905-641-6444
- W.S.I.B. – Len Hircsu 905-641-2611 x (235)
While the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak is a rapidly changing, we are committed to keeping you informed every step of the way and help you get through this. If you have any questions please call.
We thank you for your support.
President Unifor Local 199