AROUND THE LOCAL
I would like to take this opportunity to provide an update regarding local union business and bargaining around the local union.
Since being elected Local 199 we have negotiated four collective agreements and I am pleased to say the process is going very smoothly. Over the past month we have successfully negotiated new agreements at Tora, John Bear, David Chev, and Grimsby Ford. I must thank the national reps, the bargaining committees and the members in these units for their ongoing support to secure these agreements.
Looking forward it is going to be a busy year, we have four units going into bargaining over the next few months; General Motors, Assemble-Rite, Knights FM and Ed Learn Ford. At the Auto Council held in June Jerry Dias, National President stated that new product for all locations will be the #1 priority in the upcoming bargaining this September. A strong Canadian footprint with growth, longevity, and new product will be the overriding priority in this contract. There will be a strike vote for the GM unit on Sunday Aug 28th at the Merritton Community Centre at 11 am. It is important that all GM members attend this meeting.
The 2016 Elections really shuffled the Deck on the Executive Board, the membership has elected five new member to the Executive Board effective July 1st. I would like to congratulate and Welcome Dave Demarco, Financial Secretary, Rob Acker, Brad Isherwood & Ed Szymaniak, Trustees and Jake McCready is filling a new position on the board created to represent Young Workers. Mike Winterbottom, Donna Higham & Tim McKinnon were all re-elected. Both Mark Roy and Peter Scott were elected to different positions, Mark is now the Vice President and Peter replaces Mark as Recording Secretary. I look forward to working with you all over the next three years.
I want to thank Tony Tyminski for serving on the board as Trustee for the past three years. To Larry Greenhalgh, Bruce Allen and Ron Allen I wish you a long and happy retirement you deserve it. On behalf of the membership of Local 199 I thank you for your dedication, your service and commitment to the membership for over three decades.
Events / Dates
There are a few events coming up to remember
- The Schedule for the Summer and Fall of 2016 at Port Elgin has been posted on the website. http://www.unifor.org/sites/default/files/education_document/summer-fall_2016_external.pdf
- Young Workers Conference is in Port Elgin July 8th – 10th
- The Unifor Women’s Conference is in Port Elgin on August 7th – 10th
- Unifor Constitutional Convention August 22nd in Ottawa
- GM Strike Vote, Sunday Aug 28th at the Merritton Community Centre at 11 am.
- Labour Day Parade and After Party is on Sept. 5th. We will be meeting at the Pen Centre at 10 am, march in the parade, and be shuttled back to the Union Hall for a BBQ, Live Music and kid’s entertainment. Details will be posted in the units and on the website.
- Unifor Local 199 Pudgy Dawson Golf Tournament September 11th Hunters Pointe Golf Club in Welland
- Next General Membership meeting is on September 21st 2016
As you can see it is going to be a busy summer, but please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or issue that you need help with. In conclusion I would like to wish all our members and their families a safe and enjoyable summer.
In Solidarity Greg Brady, on behalf of the Executive Board.