left to right (Greg Brady, Betty Lou Souter, Gynette Smith & Peter Scott)
Helping the Community in Challenging Times
There can be no doubt 2020 will go down in the history books as a very tough year, Covid-19 has created havoc around the world, the impact on families in our community was often devastating. At a time when the demand for community services, food banks, women’s shelters was going through the roof, the funds available through donations went down. This has created a major problem for community agencies who are struggling to keep up helping those in need.
Normally in December we hold a plant gate collection at General Motors which raises thousands of dollars to help families at Christmas. Sadly, the gate collection did not take place due to Covid concerns. I am extremely proud to share with you the news that the Unifor Social Justice Fund responded by doubling the amount of funding available to us and in fact across the country.
Because of this generosity and member support through our standing committees we could not only match the donations we made last year; we actually increased the funds available to the community. A staggering $26,250 was donated to community groups in Niagara this month. Which is in addition to the payroll deductions that go to the United Way. Local women’s shelters, food banks, community organizations & workers that received funds this year include;
- Community Care $7,000
- Projection Share $4,000
- Hope Centre $4,000
- Gillian’s Place Second stage Housing $4,000
- YWCA Niagara $4,000
- Quest Niagara $500
- Community Care Adopt 2 Families $750
- Welland Forge Workers Closure $2,000
Union members build and support communities and are an integral part of the communities in which we live. Never has there been a time when your generosity has been more important.
On behalf of the Executive Board I would like to wish you and your families a safe and happy holiday season.
President Unifor Local 199
Any members who wish to make a donation here is a list of Niagara area organizations that need help to support families in our community.
- Community Cares https://www.communitycarestca.ca/donation
- Gillian’s Place https://www.gilliansplace.com/
- Hope Centre Welland https://www.thehopecentre.net/
- Project Share Niagara Falls https://www.projectshare.ca/
- Port Cares https://www.portcares.on.ca/
- Quest https://questchc.ca/
- United Way https://www.unitedwayniagara.org/
- Women’s Place of South Niagara https://womensplacesn.org/
- YWCA Niagara https://www.ywcaniagararegion.ca/