Retiree Chairperson’s Report– October 18th, 2017
Well summer is over and the fall is here! I am putting out the nomination box for November 15, 2017 election for Area Retired Workers Council, three (3) to be elected. The box opens today, October 18, 2017 and will close on October 26, 2017 at 3:00 p.m.
We had a bus for the Cami picket line in Ingersoll on September 30, 2017 and there was a good turnout of Retirees for the bus ride. We had a good time talking to strikers. There were a lot of young workers from Cami on the picket line and they were very glad we came to support them on the picket line. When we were getting on the bus to go back to St. Catharines, they lined up to shake are hands. I think this made us glad we came. At the time of writing this report Cami Workers are still on strike.
Good News! ASR Health Care Trust, in view of five years’ worth of strong financial results and a solid 2017 valuation results, the trustees have approved a package of enhancements. Listed below are the new enhancements. The effective date of these enhancements is January 1st, 2018 and a formal announcement and communication to members will go out next month.
GMCL Plan Design Changes effective January 1st, 2018 are:
- Increase PSA test reimbursement rate from $15 to $35
- Add coverage of dental implants at 50% reimbursement rate
- Increase eye exam reimbursement rate from $85 to $120
- Increase vision care maximum from $300 every 24 months to $350 every 24months
- Increase hearing aid per ear limit from $1000 to $1500 every 36 months
- Increase reimbursement rate on supplies and services from 80% to 90% – Excludes paramedical practitioners or accommodation costs
- Change the annual indexing on the member contribution rates from 5% per year to 1.5% per year after 2017
This information came from Dawn Harlow, Manager of Operations, Auto Sector Retiree Health Care Trust.
In closing it is good to see change for the better in the Health Care Trust. It is not a big, big change. But it is better than no change